Camila’s got too many kids
If you do nothing else today, watch this video at www.seethechild.com – it’ll take just over a minute of your time.
Sorry if you came expecting a funny illustrated post about Britmums Live 2014, please come back next week for that.
But right now, I need to talk about Camila and her ENORMOUS family of kids. Too many for her to look after.
Yes, Camila Batmanghelidjh who raises funds to help tens of thousands of vulnerable children across London and Bristol every year, came to talk to us Bloggers about Kids Company‘s latest campaign, See The Child. Change the System. Even with her team of dedicated health professionals, the most ‘at risk’ kids with devastating domestic backgrounds often slip through the net.
She recognises the power that Bloggers have at grassroots level by lobbying politicians to increase care and protection to these children.
You can also sign the petition on the website to vote for a change to a system that is sentencing already desperate kids to a lifetime of despair. Their lives affects us all directly or indirectly. There may be more, but 1.5 million known children in the UK are suffering from neglect and abuse.
Politicians turn a blind eye as there are ‘no votes in vulnerable children’, but by signing this @KidsCompany petition at www.seethechild.org, we’re showing them we care and we demand change.
On Twitter you can help by linking to this post with hashtag #SEETHECHILD
You can also Text I SEE to 63000 to vote for change
The recently published Centre for Social Justice report has revealed systemic failure, crisis and widespread despair from those working in the system.
CHILDREN’S REALITIES TODAY – THE STATISTICS
- 3.5 million children in the UK are living in poverty (Barnados)
- Almost 1.5 million children in the UK experience neglect (Action for Children)
- 16% of children aged under 16 experienced sexual abuse during childhood (NSPCC)
- 1 in 10 children and young people aged 5 – 16 suffer from a diagnosable mental health disorder – that is around three children in every class (Young Minds)
- Over 500,000 children are referred to social services as a cause for concern on a yearly basis (NSPCC)
- Of these, 43,140 were subject to a Child Protection Plan in England in 2012-13 (NSPCC)
- 500 children’s centres have closed since 2010
- 88% of Social Workers surveyed said budget cuts have left children at increased risk of abuse
Kids Company has several high profile celebrities on board who support this campaign including Stephen Fry, Russell Brand, Damien Hirst, Thandie Newton, Dynamo, Fearne Cotton and Alesha Dixon – you’ll be in good company if you join them.
You know, whether you wore a tiara or not, won an award or not, got drunk and said or did something you regretted at The Brewery last weekend. None of it really matters a jot compared to this.
Let’s make a difference to a child’s life.