‘My father is a total dick‘
Yes this is what I saw written in my son’s exercise book yesterday. It was just a glance as he doesn’t like me looking at his work nowadays.
While by no means always true, I thought an 11 yr old boy should probably have a tad more respect for his old Dad than to show it to his teacher.
I confronted son today after school.
And yes, you saw what i didn’t – it was his German homework.
‘Mein vater ist total dick’ doesn’t mean what I thought.
Dick means large or stout which may or may not be better than thick as in ‘duuhhrrr‘ –
Therefore the sentence translates as
My father is a real fatty
Phew. And I was wondering if the school hadn’t been overstepping the mark just a little.
Now my ramblings are taking me from German homework to Donald Trump
Well I’ve been interviewing friends to see what sort of relationship they had with their own fathers. What did they think of them, in German or otherwise?
Surprise surprise !! Those with bullying ones, had much stronger and more personal opinions on the Big Orange I AM than others who held equally disapproving but more objective views.
The word ‘Psychopath’ and ‘Sociopath’ cropped up frequently.
Here’s some *research on those loosely used terms. It started me wondering about the new leader of the free world and whether it’s a free world anymore.
There are similarities between a psychopath and a sociopath. These conditions nearly always present before the age of 15. By the time they are an adult, they are well on their way to having one of these disorders.
Also known as antisocial personality disorder, it applies to anyone who has 3 or more of the following traits:
PSYCHOPATHS (tend to be born with these traits, though they may also suffer from a childhood trauma)
- Tend to form artificial, shallow relationships designed to benefit the psychopath
- Psychopaths rarely feel guilt regarding their behaviours no matter how much they hurt others
- Often seen as charming and trustworthy holding steady, normal jobs
- Some even have families and seemingly-loving relationships with a partner
- Tend to be well educated but also may be autodidacts
- If they engage in criminal behaviour, they will carefully plan to ensure they don’t get caught
SOCIOPATHS (tend to be conditioned by their environment)
- Tend to be more impulsive and erratic
- Become agitated and angry easily
- Some are able to form attachments to like-minded people or groups
- Most don’t hold down long-term jobs
- Few present much of a family life to the outside world
- When they engage in criminal behaviour, they tend to do so in a reckless manner without regard to consequences
Who is more dangerous?
They both present risks to society, but psychopaths have the more dangerous disorder, as they feel less guilt attached to their actions.
Up to 3% of the population (and a majority of males) may qualify for a diagnosis of antisocial personality disorder.
I’d love to know if any of this rings true for anyone you know?
Is your father a total dick?
If you’re reading this and your father is the new **POTUS …
Decide whether it’s a German translation, but I think you’ll find the answer (so sue me) is
*According to Dr John Grohol Psy.D
**President of the United States